Monday, January 18, 2016

Editing madness

A Dream and A Kiss is entering its final stages of development. I recently joined a critique group of local writers and submitted the first few chapters to the group for beta reading and editing. I got some really good and very helpful feedback. Positive feedback included "I feel like you really know your characters," "If you get this cleaned up a bit, it could easily be the best book on my shelf," and "For a first draft, it is really clean."

I must admit, those points made my head swell up at least two sizes.

Critique points included things like my characters acting inconsistently, needing to add action tags to make my characters come to life a bit more on the page, and a few points about clarifying historical accuracy.

Overall, I'd say I fared pretty well. I always feel a bit anxious when I release my work into the universe. I spend so much time with my characters that they become almost a part of me. To hear anything negative about my work is painful for me. I know, I should grow a thicker skin, and I'm working on it. Not everyone will like my work, I know.

So, now I'm gearing up for my second critique group session. I'm feeling more and more confident about the quality of my story and I can't wait for Warner's story to be completed. He is such an intriguing character and he certainly meets his match in this book. He is going to have a couple lightbulb moments along the way and, of course, we'll have a visit from his two brothers later on in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment